BJD -Give Me Opinions on this doll please!






I assembled the doll today-its my first attempt at a bjd.I normally use paperclay but I only had 1 packet left and was afraid to waste it on my first try.I used Plastiform (because I can buy it here-paperclay I have to get from the U.S.) and its only ,3 euro for a packet,that would make 2 dolls.Its a bit messy as it comes in powder form and you mix with water,but it was much better for the rough work at the start plus it dries really fast in the oven.I sculpted the body and head  over styrofoam and the arms and legs over plastic straws.I have read again and again not to bake styrofoam 'cos it melts -it did not (at 125 degrees)the straws melted a bit but did'nt stick to the clay so I pulled them out with a needle!!.She measures approx 12" and the hardest part is trying to make small joints.Could I have some honest opinions and where you think I should change things.I should have put a joint in her body but I forgot.

8 comments:

H.T. said...

Hi,Mary!
This doll should be a pretty artpiece.The body is perfect,emphasises motion on every inch.Good proportions and a nice,modern look features of the face.Easy to take photos of all the animation of gesture.Could be fabulous as the 'actor'/'actress' of the 'one actor marionette theatre.I see it's future looks,as coloristically modest/one-two-three colors possibly/-maybe some kind of 'ground colors'/'Earth-colors',to make it more sophisticated and expressive.No aggressive make up,no aggressive hairstyle,but all underlined more with the mimics,than color-expression.Even now - such a 'naked' body talks to me a lot and allows to get known slowly the character of the doll.So far,in my opinion-it's a very good piece of not easy task.
Happy New Year-once more:-)
-Greets-Halinka-

Carlyn Clark said...

She seems lovely to me. Looking at her I'd immediately guess she was yours - and can imagine her dressed & accessorized in your distinctive style. I especially like how expressive her hands. are. Looking forward to seeing her all dressed up!

Dorien said...

I understand that this is your first attempt to create a bjd. I think it looks great!
Very brave to bake styrofoam and good to hear it didn't melt! Certainly will give it a try myself!

rossichka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rossichka said...

Dear Mary Patricia,
Happy, Merry and Successful New Year!
Let it bring you inspiration, laugh and love!

The doll is wonderfully sculpted! I suppose it would turn out to be a great Beauty!:)xx

Sunny Carvalho said...

I think she is lovely!! Coming from a background of porcelain, all I would recommend on the next one is to make the balls at the joints just slightly larger and slightly recess them into the part above/below them. You will start to see what I mean as you do them more and more. Of course, my current look like skeletons and crazy people now, so whatever makes you happy is the best thing!! LOL

I got your comment on the idea journal on my blog. As for your question: I think the journals are given to you because the people love you and you should use them for whatever makes YOU happy, regardless of the beauty of the journal! Have you noticed, I am all about HAPPY!!! Again, LOL

xoxo Happy Creative New Year and thanks for coming by the blog!

Sunny Carvalho said...

P.S. I meant to say my DOLLS look like crazy people....

Also, please post pics when whe is done, I can't wait to see her painted!

Rhissanna said...

Wow, this is your first try? She's lovely, clearly one of your dolls and so expressive. She poses well, too. I've noticed that a lot of dollmakers try out a BJD in a departure from their usual dolls. I have to admit, I'd like to try one for myself. I love the range of movement they have. Well done!